Northern Midlands

Submitting a Planning Application

What is the difference between a Planning Permit and a Building Permit

Planning approval and building approval are two separate processes. Often a particular use or development of land may require approvals under both processes. Separate applications are required.

The planning approval process involves assessment of a proposal to use or develop land against the rules in a planning scheme. The planning process is mainly concerned with the impacts of a proposed use or development upon neighbouring land.

Some of the issues that planning looks at are:
  • Will a proposed development affect the neighbour’s enjoyment of their land by causing privacy, or overshadowing problems?
  • Is a proposed development positioned far enough away from boundaries?
  • Is a proposed building too high?
  • Is the proposed use of the land appropriate to the area?
  • Will a proposed development affect the streetscape?
  • Does a use or development have enough car parking?
  • Will the proposed hours of operating of a use affect neighbours?

Building approval involves an assessment of a proposed use or development against the Building Code of Australia and the Plumbing Regulations. The building approval process mainly involves issues such as:

  • Is the building soundly constructed?
  • Have adequate fire protection measures been installed?
  • Is the building capable of receiving adequate levels of light and ventilation?
  • Is the building property sewered and drained?
  • Are the building's features safe for users?

The building and plumbing process may also involve a series of inspections at various stages of construction of a building to ensure that these issues have been adequately addressed. Please view the Building and Plumbing page for further detail.

How do I submit a Planning Application?

Complete a Planning Application Form this form is used for all planning application including signage and subdivision. You will also need to include a copy of title, including Certificate of Title, Title Plan and Schedule of easements (if one exists). A set of plans (usually comprising fully dimensioned site plan, floor plan and elevations, drawn to scale). Application fees and covering letter providing any additional information that you feel will help Council to assist your application.

The following brochure may be able to assist you in makng your planning application:
A Guide to Planning Applications

Planning Applications affecting water and sewer infrastructure require referral to TasWater.

Planning Applications can be loged with Northern Midlands Council by:

  1. Post to Northern Midlands Council, PO Box 156, Longford Tas 7301
  2. Hand deliver to reception at the Council offices, 13 Smith Street, Longford
  3. Email to
  4. Make an appointment with a planning officer to go through your application with you and calculate your fees. It is recommended that you phone ahead to make sure an Officer is available to see you. Call the Customer Service Team on (03) 6397 7303.

What are the current planning fees?

Please click here to view the current planning fees.

How can I pay my planning application fees?

When applicable planning fees have been calculated by the Planning Department, they can be paid by the following means:

  1. Post payment to Northern Midlands Council, PO Box 156, Longford Tas 7301
  2. Reception at the Council offices - cheque/cash/credit card (Visa or Mastercard), EFTPOS
  3. Phone the Customer Service Staff on (03) 6397 7303 to pay using credit card (Visa or Mastercard).

How can I view an application that is on public exhibition?

Applications on public exhibition are available to view in the foyer at the Council Offices, 13 Smith Street, Longford during office hours (8.30am – 5.00pm).

To view current planning applicaitons on view under the Land Use Planning & Approvals Act 1993, please click here.

How can I object (make a representation) to an application on public exhibition?

There are two main kinds of planning applications - "discretionary" applications, which have to be advertised and "permitted" applications, which are not advertised.

Any person has a right to object to a discretionary application during the 14 day advertising period. Council may approve or refuse a "discretionary" planning application.

Council is bound to approve a "permitted" planning application, with or without conditions. There is no right of objection for "permitted" applications.

Council is required to publicly advertise a "discretionary" planning application by:

  • Sending a written notice to all adjoining owners and occupiers of land.
  • Put a notice up at the public boundary/boundaries of the land.
  • Put an advertisement in the newspaper. (Council advertises "discretionary" applications on Wednesday or Saturday in The Examiner).

Anyone can object to a proposal that has been advertised by Council, whether you are a neighbour or are just generally concerned about the proposal. It is important to lodge your representation within the 14-day exhibition period in order to ensure that Council is formally required to consider it when deciding upon the application, and to ensure that you have appeal rights (if you decide to appeal Council's decision on the application).

When writing to Council, you should make sure you include your name and address, the date, your signature, the address or other reference for the application you are objecting to, and the reasons why you object to the application. After receipt of your representation, you will be notified if, and when, the application will be discussed at a Council meeting.

Representations must be sent to: The General Manager, PO Box 156, Longford 7301 or hand-delivered to 13 Smith St, Longford, or submitted electronically by emailing Council at

How do I appeal against Council's decision?

Any applicant for a planning permit may appeal Council’s decision on a planning permit application within 14 days after notice of that decision is served on them. The applicant may appeal either against Council’s decision to refuse an application, or against the conditions imposed by Council on a planning permit.

Any person who has lodged an objection (representation) with Council during the 14-day advertising period for a discretionary (advertised) planning permit application may lodge an appeal within 14 days after being served notice of Council’s decision to grant a planning permit.

If the applicant for a planning permit is not the owner of the land and the Council grants a permit requiring that a planning agreement (under Part 5 of the Land Use Planning Approvals Act) be entered into, then the owner of the land has a right of appeal within 14 days after being served notice of Council’s decision to grant a planning permit.

In the case of Council refusing to grant a planning permit, there is no right for an objector (representor) to lodge an appeal.

Planning appeals are heard by the Resource Management and Planning Appeal Tribunal, which is a body established under the State’s planning laws. The Appeal Tribunal is completely independent of the Council.

The Tribunal's contact details are as follows:

Telephone No.: (03) 6233 6464
Facsimile No.: (03) 6224 0825
Postal Address: GPO Box 2036, Hobart TAS 7001
Street Address: Level 1, 144-148 Macquarie Street, Hobart


How do I extend or amend my planning permit?

You must complete the appropriate application form:
Request to Amend Planning Permit
Request to Extend Planning Permit
and submit to Council with the appropriate fee. Reasons for the request to extend of amend the permit must be provided in writing.

Powered by