General Information

For further information about our current services please call our Customer Care team on (03) 6397 7303.

​Northern Tasmanian Waste Management Group

Northern Tasmanian Waste Management Group

The Northern Tasmanian Waste Management Group was formed in 2008, with the Northern Tasmanian Regional Waste Strategy ratified in early 2009 by the Northern Regions Councils participating in the voluntary waste levy.

The objectives of the Northern Tasmanian Regional Waste Management Group are to deliver improvements in waste reduction and resource recovery, regional cooperation and coordination, waste management policy and service delivery and community education and marketing.

The Northern Tasmanian Regional Waste Management Groupworks to achieve improvements in waste reduction and resource recovery, improve regional cooperation and coordination of waste services, oversee waste management policy setting and service delivery, and coordinate community education.

The Northern Tasmanian Regional Waste Management Group's work is guided by the Northern Tasmanian Regional Waste Management Strategy: 2017-2022.

For further information on the Northern Tasmanian Waste Management Group click here.

Special Refuse Collection (Pensioners)

This special collection will be available in all urban areas for the purpose of assisting those with limited access to Council's Waste Transfer Stations to dispose of unwanted items. The date of the special collection is advertised in the Examiner and the Country Courier in November each year and is noted on the current kerbside collection calendar.

Pensioners must contact the Special Refuse Officer on (03) 6397 7303 to register for collection, if you are not registered for this collection your rubbish will not be collected.

Generally items must be easily handled by two persons - anything larger will not be collected. Collection will be limited to 1 cubic metre per household.

Items NOT collected include green waste, hazardous materials, paint tins and chemical drums.

Recycle Coach

Recycle Coach helps you drastically reduce contamination and become a force for good in the fight against climate change.

Recycle Coach will help you become a pro-recycler at home where it counts. Built for effortless convenience, our range of educational tools fit right into your average day. What isn’t average is the impact that they make!

From our popular “What Goes Where?” search tool to blog posts jam-packed with handy tips on how to recycle properly, some 40% of households regularly use our app after subscribing. Have fun, save the world, or recycle trying.

Recycle Coach is a FREE app available to assist with your recycling questions!

Find out more and download the app today!


We are excited to be partnering with digital platform ASPIRE along with the Northern Tasmanian Development Corporation (NTDC) and other northern Tasmanian Council’s.

ASPIRE is an online matchmaking tool for material resource exchange, based on circular economy methodology for engaging and supporting small and medium manufacturing businesses.

If you are a business or individual in northern Tasmanian council areas with fewer than 20 staff you can join up for free, while larger businesses are also encouraged to join for a small fee.

Joining ASPIRE's sophisticated trading platform means you're intelligently matched to potential remanufacturers, purchasers or recyclers.

Find out more about ASPIRE here.

Liquid Trade Waste

Most household waste is disposed of via the sewerage or waste water systems, or via septic tanks. However, grease, oils, solvents and chemicals (basically anything except human sewage) should not be put directly into such systems.

Please contact TasWater for further information regarding requirements in relation to discharging trade waste into the sewer.

​Drum Muster

Drum Muster is the national program for the collection and recycling of empty, cleaned, non-returnable, crop production and on-farm animal health chemical containers.

The Northern Midlands Council acts as a collection agency for these containers at the Longford Waste Transfer Station on Wednesday between 1.00pm and 4.00pm, Campbell Town Waste Transfer Station on Tuesday between 9.30am and 4.30pm and Avoca on Saturday between 10am and 4.30pm. Please call 6391 3032 to register for this service.

To safely recycle containers, they must be:

  • pressure rinsed
  • triple rinsed, or
  • fully cleaned with a mechanical rinsing device

This should be done immediately after emptying the container, before any residue has a chance to dry and harden.

Further information is available on the Drum Muster web site or from the site attendants on the drumMUSTER empty chemical container program.

Green Waste (FOGO)
Currently we do not offer a green waste/ FOGO bin collection, but we will continue to explore options and alternatives. - NMC

Green waste means grass clippings, leaves and also tree prunings. Green waste can be deposited at Council's waste transfer stations and is converted to mulch. When leaving green waste at the transfer station it is important to ensure it does not have other general garbage mixed with it.

Home Composting

Home composting is a good way to significantly reduce your household waste. When composted, food waste and garden clippings decompose to make a great mulch for your garden. You can either make your own compost heap in a shady part of your garden or use a compost bin. Compost bins can be purchased at most hardware stores. Items that can be added to compost include:

  • vegetable and fruit peelings
  • tea bags and coffee grinds
  • vacuume dust
  • small purnings, leaves and grass clippings
  • straw and sawdust
  • flowers
  • wood ash
  • shredded paper and cardboard
  • used potting mix

The compost should be added in layers, with a layer of food scraps ideally being covered with a layer of grass clippings or leaves.

The following items are not suitable for composting:

  • meat and bones
  • dairy products
  • large prunings
  • pet droppings
  • weeds with seeds
  • bleached paper or magazines

The compost needs moisture and air to decompose effectively. To achieve this, turn it regularly and make sure it is always kept reasonably moist, without being waterlogged. For further information on home composting follow this link to the Living Greener website.

Worm Farms

Worm farms are another way to reduce food and garden waste. Worm castings that result from the worm's decomposition of waste also make an excellent soil conditioner for your garden. As with compost heaps, a worm farm should be placed in a cool and shady part of the garden. The worms need:

  • a dark, moist, but not waterlogged environment at all times
  • any compostable food items, shredded into smaller pieces to allow the worms to efficiently decompose them
  • neutral acidity with a pH level kept around 7

This pH level can usually be achieved quite easily by ensuring a layer of green waste or moist paper or cardboard is regularly added with the food waste. Ensure that paper waste is not bleached or contaminated with any chemicals. Newspapers and cardboard from food packaging are ideal. Most hardware stores and garden centres sell worm farms and worms and will give you advice about how to look after them. For further information on worm farms follow this link to the Living Greener website.


Paintback is now available at the Longford Waste Transfer Station.

Taking Australia's unwanted paint and packaging’s colourful past to a brighter future of responsible disposal and innovative reuse.

Paintback® is taking unwanted paint and packaging’s colourful past to a brighter future of responsible disposal and innovative reuse. Paintback®, established in 2016, is a world-first, industry-led initiative designed to divert unwanted paint and packaging from ending up in landfill and vital waterways.

Visit the Paintback website to find out more.