Planning a community event?
Posted on January 16, 2018
Are you planning an event in the Northern Midlands for your local business, association, or group?
Whether you’re organising a performance, exhibition, market, sporting or community event, festival, fair, open day, or workshop, a bit of extra free promotion can be really helpful.
Council’s Tourism Officer compiles a list of current events in the midlands, called “What’s On”. It is free to list your event, and there are many benefits for doing so.
- The list is distributed each week to several hundred recipients, including:
- Tourism operators in the northern and southern midlands, to share with their customers and guests
- Key tourism industry organisations, i.e. Tourism Tasmania, Tourism Northern Tasmania, Destination Southern Tasmania
- Yellow i Visitor Information Centres state-wide
- 5 Visitor Centres in the Northern Midlands region
- The Heritage Highway board members and social media writer
- The content of the list is used to populate these websites:
- Northern Midlands Council event calendar – https://www.northernmidlands.tas.gov.au/calendar
- Heritage Highway Tourism Region – http://heritagehighway.com.au/events
- Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (when time permits. Organisers can learn to upload their own events here). The ATDW is used to populate many sites and publications, including:
Content for “What’s On” is obtained from a variety of sources, including: contact with event organisers; social media; publications; word of mouth; and general knowledge. However some events slip past unnoticed. All local events can benefit from some free promotion, so don’t miss out on this opportunity by assuming we are aware of your event. Please let us know, preferably via email: Fiona.Dewar@nmc.tas.gov.au and please include a detailed description (we may abbreviate for the listing, but can include more on the websites), event dates and times, event location, a high resolution image, and contact details.
If you would like to receive the weekly distribution of “What’s On”, please let us know by email, or phone 6397 7303.